Sedation dentistry offers the patient an environment that is stress and anxiety free when performing dental treatment. It acts as a way for dentists to help patients overcome common dental phobias.
At Oak tree, we understand that you may have a certain dental phobias and offer IV sedation to provide you with a service where you can undergo dental treatment without having to withstand the unpleasantness of how these phobias make you feel.
IV sedation is where we administer a sedative drug into a vein using a very thin needle that is encased in a soft plastic tube. When the needle is removed from the vein, it leaves the plastic tube behind and this tube is then used to administer the drug into the vein as when needed.
It is an extremely safe treatment as those who carry it out are highly qualified, trained and experienced.
What does it feel like? Will I be asleep?
In IV or intravenous sedation, the drug which is used tends to make people feel like they are asleep. IV sedation does not actually induce sleep; instead you actually remain conscious and can follow instructions from your dentist. However the feelings of relaxation will be so intense you will not hold onto any anxieties or phobias you had before the treatment started.
Advantages of IV Sedation?
- The sedative takes effect very quickly.
- IV sedation can also lead to an extreme level of sedation that is deeper and more intense than other methods of sedation.
- People who suffer from a high gag reflex can often benefit greatly from IV Sedation
- It has an amnesic effect which will enable you to forget anxieties associated with dental treatment
Disadvantages of IV Sedation?
- If you have an extreme fear of needles, you may not find it easy to have the needle inserted intravenously.
- The drugs may not stop affecting you even after the dental procedure is complete. For this reason, you need to be accompanied by a friend or family member who you trust to take care of you 24 hours after the appointment.
Please note that without an escort, we cannot perform IV sedation.
How much does sedation cost?
Oak Tree Dental offers IV Sedation that helps you receive the treatment that has been planned in a relaxing and stress free environment.
Rest assured we are qualified and experienced in delivering this Treatment and our committed team keep up to date with all training associated with delivering the best care in IV Sedation.
We will ensure you are completely informed about the treatment that has been outlined and will not undertake Sedation until you have gained a full understanding about both the treatment that is needed and the details of Sedation procedure itself.